The Young Canadian Sailor

The journal of a young Canadian and his career in the Armed Forces. Check out the archives!

Thursday, July 29, 2004

 

Salve!

Jake, my adoring husband, has requested that I, the great Ellen, the Mistress of Mead herself, post something here in order to supplement his own, admittedly feeble, writings, and I, of an always generous and giving nature, have consented to do so.

When I told people that my husband was joining the military, most of them told me I was crazy.  Where will he be stationed?, they asked.  Will you be going with him?  And when I told them no, they replied with amazement, But when will you see each other?  Most seemed to think that this was the equivalent of a divorce, going our separate ways and never seeing each other again/  People, as I often say, are dumb.

As I explaied, although only some seemed to understand me, or to believe what I had to say, we would be apart for long periods of time, but that was okay.  It amazes me that many of the academics who surround me could not seem to grasp this, considering when academics marry one another they usually end up at different universities, living apart for years at a time.  Married professors who do end up working at the same university are lucky and few in number.

People asked, How long does Jake plan to stay in the Forces?  When I replied that he wanted to stay until he got his pension, they again thought I had lost my senses.  But, I responded, how could I not support this plan of his, considering how he has supported me over the years, in my quest to become an academic?  Wasn't it better for each of us to by happy and fulfilled, but often separate, than miserable and together?  We plan to be together for the rest of our lives, and I like to think we have a better chance of achieving this than most because we supportive of each others' goals.  I know that if my work took me far from home, as it may do, Jake would support me in this, even if he had to stay behind, so how can I do any less.

Yes, we may be apart for long periods of time, but there are always vacations, and in this age of communications, we won't ever really be apart.  I will be busy with the tail end of my MA, and the start of my PhD, and my Hero will be off saving the world.

Then do not be discouraged,
'Eaven is your 'elper,   
We'll learn you not to forget;      
An' you mustn't swear an' curse,
or you'll only catch it worse,   
For we'll make you soldiers yet!
(Rudyard Kipling, The Men that Fought at Minden)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?