The Young Canadian Sailor

The journal of a young Canadian and his career in the Armed Forces. Check out the archives!

Thursday, October 14, 2004

 

<---- The Last Hurdle

Well, I passed my last physical test. The only thing left to do now is sign the papers and take the oath, which I do on 27 Oct. I'll be shipping out for Basic around 09 Nov. For those of you keeping track, my course will be 0178...

You know, I feel that I've already accomplished something. There was a time, not long ago, when I couldn't even conceive of being able to pass the Armed Forces' physical test.

I know that my road isn't over, and in many ways it's just going to get harder, but...

From this point out, I'm part of something larger. I mean, my wife, my family, my friends, they have been more than supportive, and I know I couldn't have done this without them. But at the same time, I was the one driving myself. I was the one exercising by myself. I was the one keeping my dream alive. Now, I'll be part of a team.

I'm scared, of course. I don't know how I'm going to deal with being apart from Ellen. I don't think we've been away from each other for more than a week in... 5 years? And having been out of work recently, we've been in each other's company for most of each day. I know I married the right person because we haven't killed each other because of it.

It's a new story now. The prologue is over; chapter one starts November 9th...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

July 2004   August 2004   September 2004   October 2004   November 2004   December 2004  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?